Re: THOUGHT.ORG somehow dropped from NS2.OZN.NET...

A few quick thoughts on this thread.  (Sorry if this is OT, but I feel it
is important enough to warrant it.)

First, I see no record of ever having hosted "thought.org" on any of our
nameservers.  We generally keep pretty good records, so I'd be surprised if
we were ever a valid secondary for this domain.  You may have listed us as
one on the domain registration, but I see no indication of ever having
actually been configured to serve as one.  The domain name rings a bell,
but IIRC it was owned by a downstream customer, and was not hosted by
us.  I could be wrong, but see nothing to indicate that I am.  E-mail me
off-list if you want to discuss further.

Second, the remark about "Chapter 7" could not be further from the
truth.  Speculating like that is pretty unfair and inappropriate,
IMHO.  (Did you bother to ask first?)  We are cash-flow positive and
investing heavily in our network.  Our newsletter has made the latter
pretty clear, I think.  Have you read it?

Third, and perhaps most importantly, the issue with slow responses from
tech support is one we are working day and night to resolve.  Staffing on
the tech floor is an issue right now.  We have been completely forthcoming
about this in our newsletter.  We have hired three more full time techs in
the last week or so and should have them up and running after they complete
training.  I agree that there is no excuse for unanswered email, not ever,
but want you to know that we ARE aware of the fact that support is
sometimes not as responsive as it should be and ARE taking immediate action
to correct it.  In fairness, the problem stemmed from an attempt to improve
support -- we split tech support and customer care apart so that the techs
could focus on nerdy stuff and the customer care reps could focus on
everything else.  This inadvertently left the tech floor short-staffed, as
we underestimated the ratio of tech support to customer care calls and
perhaps moved too many people from tech to customer care.   This is as much
my fault as anyone's, and for that, I apologize.

Anyway, I appreciate the list members who forwarded this posting to me and
hope that this answers any questions that may be lingering.  The merger of
oz.net with The River has been a challenge and there have been rough edges
at times, but overall, we are a much stronger company with a much better
network than we were before, and I believe that most of our customers know
this.

Thanks,

-- Jared

:: Jared B. Reimer <jared@theriver.com>
:: VP Operations - The River Internet Access Co.
:: +1 (877) 88-RIVER  http://www.theriver.com/