Serial connections

I've been looking for information on using serial connections between two
machines to connect a laptop to a server. I've seen somewhere a description
of how it's done including the wiring for the cable. For the life of me
I can't remember where. I did try the howtos but all I found was a paper
on connecting toa PC server using ppp.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I don't have a serial to serial cable
but I have a parallel to parallel null modem cable and it seems that was the rec
procedure. Am I crazy?

DAve