Re: book recommendations?

> From: "Philip Hallstrom" <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
> > The C Programming Language, Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie
>
> yay.
>
> > UNIX Programming Environment, The Brian W. Kernighan, et al
> > Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, W. Richard Stevens
>
> Haven't looked at these in years.

Haven't looked at them because they aren't any good or because they're so
good you memorized them years ago and don't need to look at them? :)  I've
done C before, but getting to know all the unix system calls, etc I
haven't done.

> > Operating Systems: Design And Implementation Andrew S. Tanenbaum,
> Albert S. Woodhull
>
> Very good book, broad scope.  We used this as the textbook in my college
> OS class.  I might be convinced to lend it out, as it is fairly
> expensive.

Thanks, but I'll buy it... it's the end of the year and I need to get rid
of some money for tax reasons :)

> > The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System (Unix and
> >    Open Systems Series.), Marshall Kirk McKusick(Editor), et al
>
> I've read the 4.3 version and it is quite good too.  I should pick up
> the 4.4 edition sometime.  This book has many more specific details than
> the Tanenbaum book, but the Tanenbaum book covers a number of features
> that BSD doesn't have, and discusses alternative architectures (Mach,
> DOS,etc).

Thanks for the info!