Re: book recommendations?

From: "Philip Hallstrom" <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
> The C Programming Language, Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie

yay.  If you are interested in C++ you might also pick up the C++
equivelent (Strostrups's "The C++ Programming Language) and "Inside the
C++ object model" by Lippman.  The latter is very technical (not a good
beginners book), but I wish that all C++ programmers would read it and
understand what was happening under the covers.

> UNIX Programming Environment, The Brian W. Kernighan, et al
> Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, W. Richard Stevens

Haven't looked at these in years.

> Operating Systems: Design And Implementation Andrew S. Tanenbaum,
Albert S. Woodhull

Very good book, broad scope.  We used this as the textbook in my college
OS class.  I might be convinced to lend it out, as it is fairly
expensive.

> The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System (Unix and
>    Open Systems Series.), Marshall Kirk McKusick(Editor), et al

I've read the 4.3 version and it is quite good too.  I should pick up
the 4.4 edition sometime.  This book has many more specific details than
the Tanenbaum book, but the Tanenbaum book covers a number of features
that BSD doesn't have, and discusses alternative architectures (Mach,
DOS,etc).

alex