Re: HardDrives

Save yourself the trouble and buy a new computer. Upgrading old hardware is such
a pain. This drive will most certainly NOT work in your 486.

1) buy an all in 1 motherboard that is confirmed to work with a drive this
large, only buy the all in 1 if you NEED video and don't want to use a PCI
card...
2) buy 32 megs of ram for $14 ( see pricewatch ). or more as the machine will
have the horsepower to do HTTP, FTP, Mail, DNS, everything
3) transfer video and nic if possible
	else, buy linksys etherfast netcard for < $20 ( better than a dec tulip,
it uses a liteon chip that is faster and easier to program than the dec
tulip. just as good as the 3c905 )
4) buy a new case
5) use old 486 for MAME

I am a big fan of microatx motherboards and cases... On pricewatch look for
"<your processor type> micro atx"

like "celeron micro atx", "duron micro atx", "k6 micro atx"

my DNS server is a motherboard mounted on a piece of plexiglass with only a
power supply, ram, a flash disk and nic. Once the system is setup you can just
pull the video card out.

For information on hd compatiblity see

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/library/8.4gb.htm

They used to have a much more detailed description but this should suffice.

**always check with the computer manufacturer for support of drives larger than
8 gigs and 31 gigs** I have some 80 gig drives and they don't work in a lot of
pc's.