RE: Enter: Travis Cole

Travis Cole wrote:

> I live in Bellingham and am working towards my Political Science
> degree at WWU.  I work for the Computer Science Dept helping take
> care of our Sun lab and some departmental servers.  Working
> there has made me a real Sun hardware (but not software :P) freak.
> I'm very into SPARCs and actualy most non-PC hardware that can run
> UNIX.

Hey, you're just the guy I've been looking for!  I've got a used
computer you might like to buy, at a very reasonable price.  It's
a state-of-the-art Sun 3/180, complete with a blindingly fast 18
MHz. MC68020 CPU and 12 MB of RAM.  All that plus the color graphics
board and power supply fit compactly into its 19"W x 20.5"H x 23"D
rackmount chassis, weighing only 150 lbs.

The system also includes plenty of high performance disk space for
those big software projects.  The drive is a 405 MB Fujitsu Eagle
Mini Disk Drive (that's what it said on the box) which measures only
19"W x 10.5"H x 27"D.  It connects to the CPU chassis by means of
the industry-standard SMD interface.  The disk weighs not much more
than 200 lbs.

Of course, with all that disk space you'll be wanting to perform
regular backups.  Do not fear, there's a very fast 25 inches/sec.
Control Data Corp. streaming tape drive which accepts standard 1600
BPI 1/2" reel-to-reel tapes.  A single 10.5" diameter reel holds an
impressive 40 MB of data.  An industry-standard Pertec interface comes
with it, of course.

And the lovely powder-blue 7-foot tall cabinet will enhance any decor!

The system was in perfect working order when I last powered it up a
few years ago.  Well, OK, you have to turn out all the lights because
the monitor is a bit dim these days.

New, the system cost around $42,000, after my 40% developer discount
from Sun.  But if it were going to a good home, I'd be willing to part
with it for considerably less.  (Shipping not included.)

Perhaps you might be interested in porting FreeBSD to it?

John
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken